Deviled Eggs are also known as Stuffed Eggs
A long-time favorite, as an appetizer or side dish, you can use the baseline recipe and customize how you wish. You can boil the eggs up to 3 days ahead of time, covered in a sealed container and often your peeling job will be much easier.
Chopped shellfish, spicy sausage, bacon, olives, capers, cheese and finely chopped pepper can also be added as optional ingredients - just add a bit more mayonaise, sour cream, or olive oil to bind the ingredients.
This recipe serves 4.
4 hard boiled eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon mustard
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Dill, parsley or paprika for garnish
1. Cool the eggs, peel them, cut them in half length-wise and carefully remove the yolks, preserving the whites intact.
2. Mash the yolks gently with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients.
3. Carefully stuff the yolk filling back into the whites, taking care to keep it need. You may want to consider using a pastry bag for more formal occasions.
4. Sprinkle with the desired garnish.
Use the same recipe as the above for deviled eggs with the following exceptions:
Same ingredients as above, plus
2 Tbps butter
1/4 cup thinly sliced and quartered white onions
1/4 mushrooms (type based upon personal preference)
1. Melt the butter in a saute pan
2. Saute onions and mushrooms
3. Add the mixture as in Step 2 in the preceding recipe
4. Return the yolk mixture to the egg whites and garnish as desired
In Step 2 of the deviled eggs, replace the mayonnaise with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves, and 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon leaves or 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves. Garnish with chopped dill, whole parsley leaves or coarsely chopped basil leaves.
Curried deviled eggs
Substitute yogurt for the mayonnaise and curry powder or other spice for the mustard.
Jalapeno deviled eggs
Substitte sour cream for the mayonnaise, 2 teapoons or more of minced jalapeno for the mustard and 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro leaves.