Spinach is one of the healthiest overall foods. It's full of antioxidants and help to fight off disease and prevent cancer. It also contains Vitamin C and Vitamin E, which help increase a person's energy level and control blood sugar. In addition, spinach contains lots of fiber which aids the colon and prostrate. Maple syrup makes a lovely pairing in this dish and features 54 different antioxidants, such as polyphenols, trace elements and vitamin, positioning the flavorful ingredient among fruits and vegetables well-known for their health benefits. The apples provide additional fiber and vitamins.
4 slices of apple bacon
1 tablespoon of bacon fat
1/8 cup purple onion
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 large crisp apples (Honey Crisp works well)
4 strips of apple bacon, crumbled into large pieces
4 cups of washed and dried baby spinach
1. Melt bacon fat in a 12" skillet
2. Add onion and sauté until translucent
3. Pour maple syrup into pan and immediately add apples and bacon
4. Mix together just until the syrup coats all ingredients
5. Add spinach and cover for two minutes
6. Remove cover; spinach should be just wilted, but still a bright green. Continue cooking a few seconds more uncovered if needed, but be careful not to overcook.
Immediately plate and serve.