Egg salad is an excellent baseline recipe that can be modified to fit any occasion or mood and is a great way to show off your hens' eggs.
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 tablespoons purple onion
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar, or to taste
1. Slice the eggs into medium slices, taking care to keep the slices in take as much as possible.
2. Sprinkle the vinegar and pepper over the eggs
3. Gently combine with the mayonnaise and mustard.
- Mix in your favorite herbs such as dill, cilantro, tarragon, and/or parsley.
- Substitute 1 small shallot or 3 scallions for the purple onion
- Add 2 tablespoons pickles or gherkins
- Add 1 teaspoon of capers
- Add finely chopped green or red bell pepper, serrano or jalapeno pepper
- Sparingly sprinkle in red pepper flakes
- Add 1.5 tablespoons grated white radish
- Substitute curry powder for the mustard
- Substitute the vinegar for 1 tablespoon lemon juice