Homemade Ricotta Recipe
- Ricotta originates from Italy and is used extensively in Italian cooking.
- It is very simple to make, but there are a few key points that aren't often explained in recipes that are key:
- The whey must be derived from a rennet-based cheese.
- Ricotta as a by-product of mozzarella seems like a natural cooking combination. Although opinions and directions vary, experience has shown better results if you let the whey sit at room temperature for about 24 hours before starting the ricotta..
- The whey that remains after the creation of ricotta is still a rich protein. However, once you have used your whey once to make ricotta, you cannot use it again.
- When whey is dried, it is the familiar "whey protein" you spend quite a bit of money on as a protein supplement in stores. It can be given to dogs, chickens, turkeys or other livestock.
Whey (about 1/2 gallon will yield approximately 1/2 pound of cheese)
Ricotta can be stored in the refrigerator for about 1 week.